Monday, December 20, 2010

The Games People Play

I have been absent for a while!  Like everyone else this time of year, I have a really good excuse!  I have been sewing like mad getting things ready for Christmas!  I now have all the "have to's" out of the way and can just relax and sew for fun.  I can't show you what I have been sewing since they are gifts, but will blog about them at a later date!

Saturday night my husband and I had our best friends over for our annual Christmas dinner.  We sit and visit, eat a fabulous dinner (even if I do say so myself) and usually play a game or two.  I do all the cooking and we eat in the dining room and use my best china and crystal.  It is a magical evening and we have so much fun.  We really do have the best friends!

For dessert this year, I made a Toffee Chunk Cheesecake!  It was to die for!  I just have to share the recipe with you all!



Toffee Chunk Cheesecake

2 c. vanilla wafer crumbs
6 Tbl. butter, melted
14 oz. individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
3 (1.4 oz.) bars chocolate covered English toffee
4 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 c. white sugar
4 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 Tbl. flour
1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 (1.4 oz.) bars chocolate covered toffee, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  In a medium bowl, combine wafer crumbs with the melted margarine.  Mix well.  Press onto the bottom and half-way up the side of a 9 inch spring form pan.  Bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven.  Allow to cool.  Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).  In a saucepan over low heat, melt the caramels together with the chocolate chips and evaporated milk; stir until smooth and pour into crust.  Break 3 candy bars into small pieces.  Sprinkle over the caramel layer.  Beat cream cheese until smooth.  Add sugar and flour; beat until smooth.  Add eggs, then yolks, one at a time.  Blend in heavy cream and vanilla.  Pour over caramel and toffee layers.  Wrap outside of pan with heavy foil.  Set in large pan that has been filled with 1 inch of hot water.  Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 15 minutes; reduce oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C) and bake 1 hour.  Remove from water.  Cool to room temperature, then chill overnight in the refrigerator.  Top with 3 more Heath Bar candy that have been chopped.

*I had to bake this about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  It is done when the middle is set.  Do not take out of oven until done.  Usually the top will crack slightly when it is done.
**I melted more caramels with cream and put on top of the cooled top.  Then I added the Heath bar chunks.  I also melted more chocolate chips and drizzled over the top of the candy chunks.
***This is very rich and creamy!

After dinner, we played "Pictionary Man"!


We had so much fun and laughed so hard that tears were coming out of our eyes.  The game is a lot like "Pictionary" except you draw on the man and his props.  We played the girls against the guys and, of course, the girls won!  At midnight, we finally decided it was time to quit!  It was a wonderful evening!

This week isn't going to be too busy for me.  Like I said, I have all my sewing done that has to be done.  I have my Christmas menu and grocery list planned and all our parties are over.  This is our "off" year, so our two daughters and their families will be with their in-laws for Christmas.  Thankfully, our son and my dad will be here with us.  It will be a quiet Christmas, but I am determined to make it a great Christmas!

I hope you all have a very Blessed Christmas!
Jackie

1 comment:

  1. You should bring your game to Colorado and we can all play! That looks like fun! And that cheesecake looks AMAIZING!!!!! Can't wait to have you all here!!!! It's going to be so much fun. I'm feeling much better today, so I'm going to go to the store and get stuff for this weekend! :)

    -C

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...