Monday, October 18, 2010

Granddaughters, Sisters, Popcorn Balls, and Quilting

I had a wonderful time with my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter this past week.  Even though I haven't spent a lot of time with a 12 week old for almost 25 years, I think I did a good job baby sitting Parker when her mom went back to work.  She was super good for me and we had many fun times "playing" together.  It just warmed my heart when she would look at me and smile.....at ME!

Parker Dodson---12 weeks
On my way home to Kansas on Saturday, I stopped at my sisters house and spent the night.  My sister lives about an hour from my daughter, so it is easy for me to see her when I am in Colorado.  I was also able to see her granddaughter (Maren) that evening too.  What a treat that was.  Maren is such an adorable little girl!  I just love the way she calls me "Yackie"!

Maren Wyss---26 months
It will be fun to see both of these little girls grow up and become young ladies.  If my sister and I have our way, they will also grow up to be quilters! 

As we have mentioned in this blog before, we both got our love of sewing from our mom.  We learned how to sew from mom, but we also learned how to cook from her.  Many of our favorite recipes come from our mom.  Sadly she passed away a little over 3 years ago from cancer.  Even though she is no longer with us, her sewing and cooking legacy lives on in us.

One of our favorite memories of cooking with mom is making popcorn balls.  They aren't your usual marshmallow popcorn balls, but the kind where you have to cook the syrup first and then pour it over the popcorn.  You then (using greased hands) form the HOT popcorn mixture into balls.  We both just love this special treat, love making it together, and when we eat them, we are reminded of mom.  We want to share this special recipe with you.  It is a great fall treat!

Mom's Popcorn Balls
2/3 c. white syrup
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbl. butter
2 to 2 1/2 c. popped corn
Combine syrup, sugar, water, vinegar and salt in heavy sauce pan.  Place over low heat, stirring until mixture begins to boil.  Cook without stirring to 270 degrees F. (hard boil).  Remove from heat; add butter, stirring only enough to combine with the other ingredients.  Pour over popcorn in large bowl, using a wooden spoon to mix.  Mix well until every kernel is coated.  With hands slighty greased, form into balls.  Let cool and then enjoy!

Jodi and Jackie with our popcorn balls----and in the sewing room!!
On Saturday night when we were both together, we made the popcorn balls!  We each took one to the sewing room, enjoyed it and sewed until 2 a.m.!  It was a wonderful time being together, being sisters, and remembering mom.  We only wish we lived closer together and could share more of these special times together.  Our hope is that we will be able to share these memories of our mom with our granddaughers and teach them all the valuable lessons that we learned from our mom.  She was a special lady!

---Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...